Friday 22 April 2016

Lesly Devereaux: About Work Life Balance

It was a cold day February 19, 1997, I woke up early to meet my client in court by 9:00am, during the nine months I gained thirty pounds and moved a little slow. I made it to court a few minutes late; the judge had already started with the morning cases. Although attorney cases were called first, there were several attorneys’ ahead of me. My lower back hurt and I felt some discomfort. Suddenly I felt a wet sensation run down my leg, my water broke. I remained calm as I raised my hand requesting permission to approach the bench. The judge summoned me, obviously pregnant I told the judge that my water broke and asked could I jump the attorney line. As crazy as it sounds I wanted to make sure my client’s case was addressed before I left for the hospital. All went well; I drove home cleaned my house called my doctor and went to the hospital where I delivered a beautiful baby boy. Talk about work life balance.

Fast forward over the past seventeen years as an entrepreneur who has owned a nail salon, solo legal practice and now coaching and professional development business I have countless stories of trying to balance work and life. It can be challenging when a choice between the two has to be made. With three sons in the home a husband and a dog I admit to missing a few soccer games and other activities. I taught the boys how to cook starting at the age of ten because as an entrepreneur I realized there were days that I might not make it home in time to prepare dinner. This was good and bad because as the older boys matured and left home at twenty seven they are self-sufficient, however I have been reminded of days that I was unable to show up to an event because of work responsibilities.

What I have learned as a result of trying to be all things to all people is that balance is necessary in order to sustain a happy family life. I have shifted my approach in handling work and life and find that my life is less stressful. If you are in need of work life balance I offer the following:
 Lesly Devereaux: About Work Life Balance

  1. Organize your day - You can have balance if you don’t know what you are doing or where to start.
  2. Share your work - If you have the resources delegate what you can in order to free time for other activities, hopefully with your family.
  3. Take time for yourself - Your well-being is a priority. Don’t feel bad about down time, it refreshes and rejuvenates you.
  4. Set time to spend with family - Making family a priority is always good for your home life. Go to the movies, mall or sports event a little time goes a long way in family relations.
  5. Don’t let people waste your time - You have to set boundaries when working. If individuals cannot add value to what you are doing than you might want to reconsider the time spent.
  6. Take care of your body - Exercise is a great stress reducer. When you are feeling well work performance is better and you have the energy to spend with family.
  7. You don’t have to be perfect - Stop with perfection. The need to keep going until everything is perfect is a recipe for disaster. Doing your best and putting forth a quality product or service does not equate to success in work or with family. 
  8. Technology time out - In this evolving world in which we live technology has caused many people to lose focus. Putting away your phones, tablets and computers at a certain time in the evening is not the end of the world or you. 
  9. Set your priorities - First things first. Each day brings on different challenges and responsibilities. Decide what is important for that day and get moving toward your goal.
  10. Vacation - If you can find the time and money take a vacation. Leave everything behind it will certainly be there when you return.

Follow Lesly Devereaux at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment